It was built in 1935 as the largest single apartment building in Shanghai. The building features a modern style in its concrete structure in eight floors. It faces south into Suzhou Creek. Originally it was for rent by Britons, Americans and Spanish. After 1945, U.S. film studios like Columbia, MGM, Motion Picture Association of America, RKO and United Artists established offices in the building. Today the gate still bears the letters E.D., the initials of the original owner Elias David Sassoon, a wealthy Jewish real estate developer. The building was used as the refugee camp for the Jewish people fleeing from Europe in 1938.